Sidecar frame and supports

Among the many things i forgot on this motorcycle, was to get a better sidecar weel. I have to get a new aluminium 19″ ring, and a new tyre.

The rest of the supports ware very difficult to mount considering i had no idea what i was doing. I still have to adjust the angles of the sidecar frame from the information i found on the internet and repaint the supports as i destroyed the paint while trying to get them into place.

IMG_0671 IMG_0672 IMG_0673 IMG_0674 IMG_0675

I took a short ride with the motorcycle with the sidecar frame attached and it was fun but a little bit difficult to steer due to the bad sidecar angle and the “wobbly” front fork. After tightening the main nuts from the front fork the ride is a little bit more stable but i still need to adjust it more.

 

Tested the new TIG welder today by building a new support frame for the carburators air flap. The air flap itself is just a cut pice of aluminium but it woks ok. I will have to bolt it together with a nice rod so the system works ok after i close the engine cover.

IMG_0676 IMG_0677

Little things that take time

One of the parts i forgot to remove from one of the frames and paint was the upper sidecar connection mount. And it seems it has a mind of it’s own as it took me about an hour, half of AB-80 spray, a flame torch and a BIG hammer to take it out.

IMG_0602 IMG_0601

Another 30 minutes of cleaning the rust and waiting for the primer to dry and i had this:

IMG_0604

Working on this reminded me of the missing rear sidecar mounting piece. I need to fabricate that one tomorrow, as i have two from an IJ56 probably, that need a little grinding and a new screw thread.