First time i had so much trouble aligning a sidecar, but it’s finally done. Unfortunately the replica stoye 2 i have is a bit smaller than the original so i will replace it with an original sidecar as soon as i find one.
I found an old fuel tank cock that works a lot better than my replica one. Old gaskets and everything, dose not leak at all. New german products are not what they used to be…
The fron seat axle was a size two small so i fitted an sheet of aluminium over it. It is very stable now and feels ok when you ride it.
Had a couple of free hours yesterday so i finished the choke system. I already had the aluminium plate cut, so i manufactured a pulling system for it. It seems to be working ok, i just have to solder it together.
* As a side note the seal for the spark cable fixes everything in place nicely.
I found two carburettors at a very low price in an auction so i cleaned them and transfered the new parts from the repair kit from the ones i had on the motorcycle to this ones. No more problems from now on i hope, as this ones have all the threads ok and have no broken parts.
Among the many things i forgot on this motorcycle, was to get a better sidecar weel. I have to get a new aluminium 19″ ring, and a new tyre.
The rest of the supports ware very difficult to mount considering i had no idea what i was doing. I still have to adjust the angles of the sidecar frame from the information i found on the internet and repaint the supports as i destroyed the paint while trying to get them into place.
I took a short ride with the motorcycle with the sidecar frame attached and it was fun but a little bit difficult to steer due to the bad sidecar angle and the “wobbly” front fork. After tightening the main nuts from the front fork the ride is a little bit more stable but i still need to adjust it more.
Tested the new TIG welder today by building a new support frame for the carburators air flap. The air flap itself is just a cut pice of aluminium but it woks ok. I will have to bolt it together with a nice rod so the system works ok after i close the engine cover.
I cleaned and painted the front foot pegs. I had some rubber for them from another motorcycle and it fitted perfect. The pegs are not original for this motorcycle but they will do until i find original ones. The axis that hold the pegs broke while i was stress testing it (i weigh 96kg) so i had to manufacture a new one.
The sidecar rear support came back from the metal manufacturer and it fits ok.
The left rubber grip on the steering bar is from another movie, so another part that is “temporary” until i find better ones.
I installed seals and gaskets for the exhaust and when i tried to fasten the nuts i realised that one of the front exhaust sections did not have the correct angle. It took about an hour with the help of a friend, a gas torch, and a metall pipe to get that basterd in.
I found some pvc pipe that fitted ok on the carburators so i will use it for the air intakes until i make some better ones from textolite.
I installed the exhaust but without any seals. I have some fiber glass sheets that i’ll transform into exhaust seals in a couple of days (to read: as soon as i find them)
I managed to make some more scratches to the paint while installing the back sit support, but nothing i can’t patch up.
The rubber sit i used is from an M i think so i have to buy a new one.
I installed the back light today. The cable was, again, two short (how the hell did i mesure it i don’t know) so i had to extend it a little. The replacement lamp is not identical to the original one so i had to improvise a little but the end result was ok.
Time to install the gas tank. I didn’t remember where to place the MZ emblem so i temporary placed it where it “looked” ok. Also installed the knee protectors. Everything went smooth, no real problems here. Getting the cables under the gas tank was a little more tricky, considering the cables are a little two short. I had to extend them a little so they would fit ok inside the headlight, so at least a coule of hours were spent to fix cutting the two short 😀
Fixed up some of the electrics, i have spark so i managed to keep everything intact.
The “tool box” is complete, i just have to seal a couple of unused holes, add a battery strip and a screw to keep the fuse pannel in place.
* Just noticed the next morning that i also added a couple of scratches to ….everything. Not very big so i hope i can fill/polish them.
The generator is also in place, and it seems to be working ok, i have a nice strong spark, and everything fell into place without too much trouble.
All that’s left of the electrical part of the job is to strap the main cables to the frame, add the back light, mount the brake sensor, and the sidecar plug.