Sidecar frame and supports

Among the many things i forgot on this motorcycle, was to get a better sidecar weel. I have to get a new aluminium 19″ ring, and a new tyre.

The rest of the supports ware very difficult to mount considering i had no idea what i was doing. I still have to adjust the angles of the sidecar frame from the information i found on the internet and repaint the supports as i destroyed the paint while trying to get them into place.

IMG_0671 IMG_0672 IMG_0673 IMG_0674 IMG_0675

I took a short ride with the motorcycle with the sidecar frame attached and it was fun but a little bit difficult to steer due to the bad sidecar angle and the “wobbly” front fork. After tightening the main nuts from the front fork the ride is a little bit more stable but i still need to adjust it more.

 

Tested the new TIG welder today by building a new support frame for the carburators air flap. The air flap itself is just a cut pice of aluminium but it woks ok. I will have to bolt it together with a nice rod so the system works ok after i close the engine cover.

IMG_0676 IMG_0677

Free time = work time

I cleaned and painted the front foot pegs. I had some rubber for them from another motorcycle and it fitted perfect. The pegs are not original for this motorcycle but they will do until i find original ones. The axis that hold the pegs broke while i was stress testing it (i weigh 96kg) so i had to manufacture a new one.IMG_0653

IMG_0654 IMG_0655

 

The sidecar rear support came back from the metal manufacturer and it fits ok.

IMG_0658 IMG_0659

 

 

The left rubber grip on the steering bar is from another movie, so another part that is “temporary” until i find better ones.

IMG_0660

IMG_0662 IMG_0661

I installed seals and gaskets for the exhaust and when i tried to fasten the nuts i realised that one of the front exhaust sections did not have the correct angle. It took about an hour with the help of a friend, a gas torch, and a metall pipe to get that basterd in.

IMG_0663 IMG_0665

IMG_0667 IMG_0668

IMG_0669 IMG_0670

 

Another work day

I found some pvc pipe that fitted ok on the carburators so i will use it for the air intakes until i make some better ones from textolite.

IMG_0638 IMG_0639

IMG_0640 IMG_0641

IMG_0643

 

I installed the exhaust but without any seals. I have some fiber glass sheets that i’ll transform into exhaust seals in a couple of days (to read: as soon as i find them)

IMG_0646 IMG_0644

 

I managed to make some more scratches to the paint while installing the back sit support, but nothing i can’t patch up.

IMG_0647 IMG_0648

IMG_0649 IMG_0650

IMG_0651The rubber sit i used is from an M i think so i have to buy a new one.

 

The gas tank.

Time to install the gas tank. I didn’t remember where to place the MZ emblem so i temporary placed it where it “looked” ok. Also installed the knee protectors. Everything went smooth, no real problems here. Getting the cables under the gas tank was a little more tricky, considering the cables are a little two short. I had to extend them a little so they would fit ok inside the headlight, so at least a coule of hours were spent to fix cutting the two short 😀

IMG_0624 IMG_0626

IMG_0627 IMG_0628

IMG_0630 IMG_0623

Tool box and generator

Fixed up some of the electrics, i have spark so i managed to keep everything intact.

The “tool box” is complete, i just have to seal a couple of unused holes, add a battery strip and a screw to keep the fuse pannel in place.

IMG_0607 IMG_0613

IMG_0618 IMG_0620

* Just noticed the next morning that i also added a couple of scratches to ….everything. Not very big so i hope i can fill/polish them.

The generator is also in place, and it seems to be working ok, i have a nice strong spark, and everything fell into place without too much trouble.

IMG_0608 IMG_0609

IMG_0611 IMG_0612

IMG_0614 IMG_0615

 

IMG_0617 IMG_0622

All that’s left of the electrical part of the job is to strap the main cables to the frame, add the back light, mount the brake sensor, and the sidecar plug.

Little things that take time

One of the parts i forgot to remove from one of the frames and paint was the upper sidecar connection mount. And it seems it has a mind of it’s own as it took me about an hour, half of AB-80 spray, a flame torch and a BIG hammer to take it out.

IMG_0602 IMG_0601

Another 30 minutes of cleaning the rust and waiting for the primer to dry and i had this:

IMG_0604

Working on this reminded me of the missing rear sidecar mounting piece. I need to fabricate that one tomorrow, as i have two from an IJ56 probably, that need a little grinding and a new screw thread.

 

Fork and front lights done.

Finished the front fork today. Not my best work, as you can still hear some unhealthy metal sounds from it, and will need at least new bushes if not one of this sets full of goodies: http://www.motorradmeistermilz.de/Telegabel-Fuehrungsrohre-Komplett-mit-Buchsen-Faltenbaelge-und-Schellen-IFA-MZ-BK-350

IMG_0595

 

Overall it performs ok, i need to test it more when i get the engine running, however except for the strange noise made by the home made bushes everything seems ok. I don’t have any strange movements anymore and everything is stable.

I fixed the back fender support so it now aligns ok on the wheel. I will have to repaint this tomorrow as i fucked up the paint but i least everything falls nicely into place.

IMG_0599

 

And the last thing i managed to do before the cold got to me was finish the headlight. I had to make a locking support from inside the headlight from aluminium foil, i run out of zink foil. I will have to see if the aluminium resists the vibrations from the road.

IMG_0596 IMG_0598

 

IMG_0600