Let there be light

20/21 October 2012

So, we have lights and spark. Ebay cables needed some modifications, they are missing the neutral light wire, but it’s not really difficult to insert another one. They also did not have any sidecar connection wiring.

By this time i also cleaned the cardan and rear wheel drive. Also, i chromed a lot of the parts. I don’t know whey but i don’t have any photos with them on the operating table. Turned out i have the solo rear drive so i need to replace the cardan gear to team in order to use the sidecar for long drives.

IMG_0436 IMG_0440

Almost there my ass

2 Octomber 2012

New Powerdynamo 12v system just arrived. It’s easy to install and use however it’s very delicate so be careful with the coil.

IMG_0419 IMG_0422

First attempt to start the engine was a success. I had to turn it off really fast and install the exhaust or my eardrums would have been toast.

IMG_0423

Wish i could say everything was ok, i have a lot of things to adjust on it, especially the carburators, and at the moment i had no idea how to do it. Time for the google translate vs german forum instructions, round 1. I am however rather happy at the moment that i managed to start the engine and nothing blew up.

 

Take your time!

28 September 2012

Finally the first time i’m reassembling the engine block! From all of the excitement i installed the cylinders the wrong way (revered them).

IMG_0412 IMG_0414

IMG_0413

Yes they fit, however i don’t think starting the engine like this is a good ideea. Took me some time until i figured out something was wrong. It was when i tried to mount the engine to the frame that it started to look strange.

 

 

Kinder surprise

From the first to 11’th september i had more free time so i worked on the engine and gearbox a little. Took a lot of effort and a couple of broken screws but i managed to open up the engine block.

IMG_0371 IMG_0378

IMG_0372

IMG_0381 IMG_0382

Crankshaft and cylinders are in a very bad shape, pistones go to the trash bin directly.

On the other side, in the gearbox, i only found two broken springs and one broken tooth from the 2’nd gear so overall ok.

IMG_0375 IMG_0376 

IMG_0379 IMG_0380

IMG_0389 IMG_0391

After cleaning everything and replacing the broken parts i tried to reassemble the gear box. This turned out to be a job i did about 20 times for this motorcycle. I had to manufacture some spacers and it took some time to get all the gears working ok. **

IMG_0392 IMG_0395

** Thank you Gabi for the help btw!

One + One

Free time was scarce however at least i managed to find some of the obvious missing parts without opening the engine or gearbox at second hand parts stores in Germany. Also managed to find another incomplete motorcycle in Romania, that had no documents, so it was good for spare parts at the moment.

I found some more cylinder heads in better condition, another gearbox, more cylinders, a front fork, more fenders, another frame, another engine block, another tank in a even worst condition, and some more small parts.

IMG_0332 IMG_0339

IMG_0338 IMG_0336

IMG_0334 IMG_0333

Overall i was almost satisfied with the parts i had, so all i needed was time to start a pre-assembly. I was still missing everything electric (had some parts that did not seem to be from a BK), a sidecar, fork stabiliser, good seats, some springs, and the other parts i still did not know about from inside the engine/gearbox/transm.

My garage had no storage shelves at the moment so it started to be a little chaotic in there with two BKs and my Yamaha cruiser.