This weekend i managed to make a light trip (about 600km) with the motorcycle. Unfortunately i didn’t find the time to finish everything before i left so i only had problems with the sparks, carbs and clutch, but overall i managed to get back home so it had a good ending. This is why i did not want to start with the Zundapp until i finish this one, working one two projects consumes a lot of time.
I lost my camera card so this are a couple of photos i stole from motociclism.ro / http://calatoriifestinalente.wordpress.com/ :))
Looking forward for the next trip i make with the bike, this time AFTER i finish it if possible.
I was unable to make a lot of free time lately but i still managed to install a new glass in the headlight, seal the exhaust a little better so it will not leak and push out smoke from all of the joints, add a light protector to the headlight, put the new tyres on (Made in England, but they look nice) and assemble and align the sidecar.
There is still a lot of work on the sidecar, i have to install the power cables, lights ( don’t have them yet), passenger support bar, windscreen (also missing) and the Stoye logos that just arrived at the post office.
*New seat is also installed, i have to take some better photos next time.
I seem to be very lucky, as i was able to fine a rather good Stoye 1 sidecar, that was rust free and came with a free paint job (in a garage so not the best quality but rather good). When i get some time i will have to take it to a metalworker to get all the dents out of the aluminium and repaint it but for now it’s perfect!
Most of the stripes are done by me, so …they are a bit crooked but they are HAND MADE! 😀
As for the old sidecar, i will probably donate it or give it as a package with the second MZ BK350 that i have to whoever wants to start a BK restoration project in the future.
First time i had so much trouble aligning a sidecar, but it’s finally done. Unfortunately the replica stoye 2 i have is a bit smaller than the original so i will replace it with an original sidecar as soon as i find one.
I found an old fuel tank cock that works a lot better than my replica one. Old gaskets and everything, dose not leak at all. New german products are not what they used to be…
The fron seat axle was a size two small so i fitted an sheet of aluminium over it. It is very stable now and feels ok when you ride it.
The rubber handles i had sucked so i sacrificed the new ones i got for my Zundapp k500. I will have to order new ones for that one, but they look great on the MZ.
Had a couple of free hours yesterday so i finished the choke system. I already had the aluminium plate cut, so i manufactured a pulling system for it. It seems to be working ok, i just have to solder it together.
* As a side note the seal for the spark cable fixes everything in place nicely.
I found two carburettors at a very low price in an auction so i cleaned them and transfered the new parts from the repair kit from the ones i had on the motorcycle to this ones. No more problems from now on i hope, as this ones have all the threads ok and have no broken parts.
Among the many things i forgot on this motorcycle, was to get a better sidecar weel. I have to get a new aluminium 19″ ring, and a new tyre.
The rest of the supports ware very difficult to mount considering i had no idea what i was doing. I still have to adjust the angles of the sidecar frame from the information i found on the internet and repaint the supports as i destroyed the paint while trying to get them into place.
I took a short ride with the motorcycle with the sidecar frame attached and it was fun but a little bit difficult to steer due to the bad sidecar angle and the “wobbly” front fork. After tightening the main nuts from the front fork the ride is a little bit more stable but i still need to adjust it more.
Tested the new TIG welder today by building a new support frame for the carburators air flap. The air flap itself is just a cut pice of aluminium but it woks ok. I will have to bolt it together with a nice rod so the system works ok after i close the engine cover.
I cleaned and painted the front foot pegs. I had some rubber for them from another motorcycle and it fitted perfect. The pegs are not original for this motorcycle but they will do until i find original ones. The axis that hold the pegs broke while i was stress testing it (i weigh 96kg) so i had to manufacture a new one.
The sidecar rear support came back from the metal manufacturer and it fits ok.
The left rubber grip on the steering bar is from another movie, so another part that is “temporary” until i find better ones.
I installed seals and gaskets for the exhaust and when i tried to fasten the nuts i realised that one of the front exhaust sections did not have the correct angle. It took about an hour with the help of a friend, a gas torch, and a metall pipe to get that basterd in.