I will try to restore the frames myself.
After a lot of welding and grinding, one frame turned out perfect, one turned out ok, and the third turned out bad. I will have to drill the final drive bolt holes in the frame one more time.
I used frame restoration sets for the frames.
A friend bought 70% of a KS600 today. The engine gearbox and final drive look very good, the rest is a disaster.
The clutch pressure plate takes forever to refill with the little corks. I might change this to a modern plate in the future.
The “package” contained, 2 frames, one with heavy modifications, two engines, two gear boxes, one final drive, a gas tank with cover, some controls, a headlight, a couple of wheels, one carburettor, two fenders (and a couple more from different motorcycle brands), one front frok, a couple of seats and a lot of rust.
Unfortunately i would later find out most of the parts needed major restoration, and a lot of them replacement.
During the “2 Roti Istorice” – 15.09.2012, an Retromobil event dedicated to old motorcycles, i noticed something very interesting.
This old guy was an unrestored, almost complete (so it seamed at the time) Zundapp K500, from 1948. It had a complete frame, gass tank and cover, the engine, the gearbox, the fork, and the front light. Next to it was the carcass of a Stoye sidecar, unknown modell, cut in half and welded to a custom back end.
A couple of weeks later i think i found out the owner had another engine and a modified frame and everything was for sale, so… I bought them!
Due to a rather busy schedule i neglected to write anything about this project, until i almost finished it.
This weekend we took a short trip to test our motorcycles (My Zundapp K500 1939 and a friend’s Zundapp KS600 1941). Overall they run ok, you can hear the new timing chain i put in mine and i hope that sound will go away after a couple of km, or i will have to open the engine and see what’s going on. We went for about 15km to an artificial island, in the middle of a lake, close to my place.